Monday, August 15, 2011

Circle of Life

Well it may be no surprise that I have already missed a week, but I do have a good reason. The three of us had to take an impromptu trip to Burlington as Josh's Dzia Dzia passed away 2 Thursdays ago. We got to spend lots of time with family remembering Victor's life. This week also marks 1 year since my grandfather died; so I was relating what was going on to my own experiences. People seemed to enjoy having Evelyn around; there were a couple sweet moments with Grandma (Babcia to Evie). It must be the reminder of the circle of life. (Josh was just singing the Lion King chant with baby yesterday, he's such a good Daddy). Dzia Dzia lived a good full life, came over from Poland with nothing but a suitcase and worked hard to build a life here for himself and his family; I wish Evelyn & I could have known him better. I am glad we both got to meet him and that his family will continue to tell his stories.

It's amazing that such a little baby can have such an impact - she also has been a source of joy for my own family; a symbol that we have turned a new page. One of the things about the (thankfully temporary) loss of the cottage that tore most at my heart was the fact that my children would not get to grow up there, enjoying playing in the water, building sandcastles, listening to thunderstorms, learning about nature and thereselves. When you move around as much as we did and as I'm sure we will with Evie, it is amazing to have a constant home away from home. Even more amazing that this home is a paradise. I praise God that my little family is able to have that now, and that Grandma Ann will be involved in Evelyn's life. What a lucky little girl to have many great grandparents (not to mention g-parents, aunts & uncles) that love her so. As sad as this week was, it was nice to be with family, something we definitely don't take for granted now that we are so far away.

I never got a copy of the family funeral picture (yes complete with Dzia Dzia in his casket - a Polish thing to do I guess) otherwise I would post it for you.

No comments: