Tuesday, March 04, 2008

Ugly is the new beautiful

This post was inspired by my drive down the mountain on Sunday evening. I love the view of Hamilton from there, even with the smoke stacks it's breathtaking being able to see the whole city by the lake like that. It reminded me of a story I just finished reading by Chuck Palahniuk (whose novels I often contemplate throwing out because of their graphic content...but can never bring myself to do so because I enjoy his undertones and satire and can often find relevance in his excellently written pieces) Anyways this story was about a high class couple, very involved in society, having charity dinners to attend every weekend, and the other sorts of things you may imagine wealthy people doing. Well this couple runs into old friends of theirs (who ran in the same circles as they did) but these friends are now bums on the street. Being nobody is the new status of importance. Eventually our heroes are convinced to do the same. Life is much more exhilirating on the street where no one knows your name. I'm not going to give away the ending, but it just makes you think the extent that people will go to, to have status (or lack thereof) Or perhaps how boring even the seemingly most exciting lives are. In my thursday night class we had a very long discussion about politicians and other high status celebrities and how they have to walk on pins and needles at all times. Makes me pretty glad that I'm not famous. I like being rather plain, but I know I'm not all that plain. Every silver lining has a cloud, but don't forget about the other way around.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

hey
just wanted to say i love you