Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Summer Vacation!

I had the intention to post while I was in Ontario, but didn't even turn on my computer the whole time I was there.  A lovely break from technology and gave me time to read a good chunk of my book (Le Comte de Monte Cristo -yep in French) and several magazines and just relax.  I also intended to post yesterday evening, but had a procedure done at the dentist that ended up being more painful than anticipated and I had to just veg' in front of the tv (Everwood! and Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy)  I feel much more myself today and have now caught up on my housework & laundry and have lots of time to sort through all our pictures.  And posting said pictures will be the easiest way to sum up the last 3 weeks and to help me remember all that has happened :D  Also beware that there are LOTS of pictures and this is a very very long post!


The first picture I have is of my hula-hoop solar heaters :)  I think I need to make more, but then turned out great and weren't difficult to make at all (inspiration: http://blog.makezine.com/2012/05/30/how-to-lily-pad-pool-warmers/)


Lily Pads for the pool
The day before our trek to Ontario was our 2nd Playdate.  We gave the girls shaving cream & food colouring and let them run wild!  

Getting Started
Some 'help' from the big girls

On that same Thursday (we left around 7:30pm) we picked up our very first Vegetable Basket from the local CSA (community supported agriculture).  My plan is to list the veggies/fruit we receive & let you know what we did with them.  
So if I remember correctly The first basket included: 
Strawberries, we mostly just ate those up (Evelyn was found with the biggest one popped in her mouth whole)
Rhubarb, Katie made us a wonderful upside down cake
Cucumbers, used in salad & I made a Cucumber, lemon zest & horseradish soup from Martha Stewart Living
Scapes, grilled with a bit of olive oil
Asparagus, also grilled with olive oil & then a bit of lemon juice
Garlic Chives, left behind in my mom's fridge :(
Unknown type of Lettuce, made salads
New Potatoes, thanks to Sunni we roasted them and then tossed in carmelized onions & balsamic vinegar


Our first stop in Ontario was Elora, Friday morning Josh & I went for a 3km run to the bridge & back (along the trail behind my parents house) my only run while on vacation, we had planned to go at the cottage but there was too much else to do :D And then we had a spontaneous picnic lunch at the splash pad at the Liquor Store Park... and we did look at the name of the splash pad but I can't recall and if you live in Elora you know what I mean.  I think maybe O'brien Park.  These pictures (and many more) are from my mom's camera (I also have some from Grandma Ann's) because they took way more pics than I did.


Picknicking
Lovely way to spend a Friday afternoon
Enjoying the water!
Swinging with Grandma
Friday evening we had a birthday bonanza (we hadn't yet exchanged between Katie, Sarah, Josh & Evelyn) and we surprised my parents with a present for their 50th birthdays later this summer.  
Saturday was the first of the bridal showers for Katie (and we were able to pull off a surprise!)  It was a beautiful afternoon garden party hosted by her friend Sunni & her mom Randi.  The food was delicious! (especially those balsamic potatoes that I mentioned above, and wasabi & pear sandwiches, and just every bite of everything was wonderful for my tastebuds)  There was live music, and lots of friends & family.

The spread
The Bride & some other lovely ladies (including the hostess, kneeling)

Unfortunately I missed the brie & dessert courses as I had to rush off to my next event of the weekend: David & Flavia's wedding.  It was a great evening, another delectable meal, and time spent with great company (ie catching up with Miranda, Elise & Iain among others).  


Josh had spent the afternoon with Alex finding treasures around Fergus and managed to score a backpack carrier (like the ones I had been eyeing at MEC) for $2.99  (the colours are a little outdated, and it's missing some of the nicer features, but it works just fine!)
Sunday brought another bridal shower, this one at Grandma Joan's hosted by Grandma & the Aunts.  Some really neat games (identify the herbs & spices was the big hit and suited Katie perfectly...she, of course, was the champion of that).  

Sam trying to identify some spices
Sisters


After the shower it started pouring (literally) as Josh, I & Evelyn headed off to Parkdale to visit Jo & Al and see their new (and wonderful) place!  We enjoyed yet another great meal (including grilled trout & kawartha dairy ice cream). 

Boat Ride
Finally, after that crazy weekend, we were off to Chandos.  We arrived around midnight and settled in.  Josh was able to fit in a little rhino ride before he had to head back to Quebec (silly work wouldn't let him take his holidays that week).  Mom & Grandma arrived later that day, and we enjoyed some girl time, food, walks, visit to the library & drugstore (ie where the good toys are), and grocery store, movie, beach time, over the next couple days. 
Like a Boss
 Dad arrived and the weather got nicer (it had been rather windy) We went for a boat ride or two.  My parents had to leave for the weekend as they were helping with the big Canada Day Run in Elora, but Katie arrived for movie night and we went out for Fish & Chips the next day while waiting for Josh, Greg, Jared & Breanne to arrive.  The weekend included lots of trail rides, skiing (and those other watersports that I don't do), even kiteboarding for Uncle Greg! Some Bocce Ball (which Evelyn loved.....she always went to chase after the white ball) a campfire (we made s'more cones, hawaiian oranges & Sangria) and of course lots of Beach Time, Evelyn loved playing with her new sand toys (thanks Auntie Katie!) and eventually going in the water in her float :). 

We also got another veggie basket.  This one included:
Rhubarb, left it at the cottage for my mom to use
Garlic Chives, left at the cottage for my mom
Cucumbers, made sweet & spicy pickled cucumbers
Bok Choy, put it in stir fry
Lettuce, made salads
Scapes, grilled
Strawberries, Grandma Ann used some to make strawberry-rhubarb pie
Radishes, used in salads

After the weekend most of the guests went home & Mom and Dad came back up.  Josh did get this past week off, and we got in lots of skiing (both of us improving on our carving). 

Josh skiing
Laura skiing (have to work on my facial expressions)
We took the canoe into the back lake, and I swam there despite my fear that there are scary lake monsters in the depths (not to mention the ghosts of the drowned team of horses).  The lake is in the middle of a bog, so it's a neat place to explore.  (But important to do so with a boat, an argo or on the boardwalk).


Taking the canoe on the rhino
Portageing down the boardwalk
Lilypad
Pitcher Plant
After my dip in Little Chandos

We went to the treat store (ie Marina) and Evey got some tastes of everyone's ice cream.  We were even able to get in a game of Rook (the card game my family has been playing for generations) The Ladies dominated of course.  Our stay was the perfect marriage of relaxation and fun; we didn't want to leave but it was nice to have a few days off at home before Josh headed back to work yesterday.  We, that is Josh, grinded all the stumps from the trees we took down, and we (me too this time) worked on the porch, should be done quite soon!  Everything is moving along and there's lots more to look forward to this summer!

Making music

Already a little bookworm
Enjoying Honeymoon cottage
Josh & Evelyn on the swing year 2
Daddy & Evelyn on the swing year 1
Already a little bookworm


Grandma & Evey
Grandad showing her how it's done
Excited for a pre-bedtime cruise
Sitting in the tube
Evelyn & Mommy

No comments: